Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Quick savory Oats

I hate waking up early!! No matter how much I try to train myself, I fail miserably. So everyday, I wake up between 6.15 to 6.45, if I'm early I exercise for 25 minutes else I start with preparing lunch. This hardly leaves me with any time for preparing breakfast. Since hubby isn't very keen on breakfast, I make him parathas with ajwain/Carom seeds or jeera (Cumin). For me, I generally make any of the following:

1. Oats porridge with banana/dry fruits/flaxseeds
2. Oats with yogurt/buttermilk
3. Oats Upma
Since porridge is a pretty common thing, I won't go through it. Well, the rest 2 are very common as well but I gotta write something in my blog rite? The measurements are for one person and I make it directly in the box I carry to office.

Oats with yogurt
Ingredients :
Quick Cooking Oats : 4-5 tblspn
Water : Just to cover oats
Rock salt : to taste (u can use the regular salt as well)
Roasted Cumin powder : 1/2 tsp
Paprika : To taste (optional)
Yogurt : Half Cup

Now for the steps:
1. Take Oats, add salt, cover it with water & microwave it for 2 minutes. Make sure to do this sometime before you have to leave so that there's time for it to cool.
2. Leave the pot/box open so it completely cools down.
3. Once cold, add yogurt, cumin powder, paprika (or chopped green chilli) & mix it well. The measurement for yogurt is simply an estimate, you can increase/reduce it as you like.
4. Add more water if you like the thinner consistency.
5. There are numerous options for the spice; try pepper powder, chaat powder, italian herb mix, Oregano, fresh/dry coriander, just a sprig of Basil. I sometimes use a pre mix 'Bombay sandwich masala'.
6. If you do not intend to eat it rightaway, add a bit more water. Oats tends to soak water, so it will be perfect when you eat later(like me )

Quick Oats Upma
There are 2 ways to make Oats upma. The elaborate one takes 5 more minutes than this one & you can add lots of veggies in it. Lets see the quick one, it shouldn't take more than 5 mins.
Ingredients:
Quick cooking Oats : 4-5 tblsps (roasted if possible)
Vegetable/Olive oil : 1/2 tsp
Onion : half onion (chopped)/ optional
Tomato : half finely chopped
Green chilli : half finely chopped
Cumin seeds : just a pinch
Salt/ rock salt : to taste
Water, a squeeze of lemon

Steps:
1. In a microwaveable bowl,  add oil and microwave for half a minute.
2. Now add Cumin seeds, Green chilli and microwave for half a minute.
3. Add onions,  tomato,  oats, salt and microwave without water for a minute.  This helps roasting the oats and releases a nutty aroma.
4. Add water, more than enough to cover the oats. Microwave for 2 more minutes, squeeze a quarter lemon and voilĂ ,  your quick upma is ready.
Possible variations: Add freshly chopped basil/coriander,  Italian herb mix, grate  some ginger before cooking, grate some cheese on top of it.

It is all really very easy and hardly takes 5 minutes.  If you are like me and need something savory & healthy for breakfast,  this works best. Once you start making it more often you can make more variations. I would love to know if you like it.
Do you have any quick breakfast ideas that can help me sleep for 5 more minutes?

1 comment:

  1. Wow... Parathas with ajwain is really healthy.
    Like your idea of Quick Oats Upma. Will try it out one of these days - when I have the whole kitchen to myself :-)

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a comment & I'll love you forever!!