Baingan ki sabji : Simple, quick South-Indian brinjal recipe
Small purple brinjals (green long one would be ideal) : 6 (cut into 1 inch cubes)
Green Chilli - 2 (chopped)
Onion : 1 (medium size, chopped)
Jeera/ Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Coriander/ dhaniya powder : 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard/Rai seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Jeera/Cumin seeds : 1/2 teaspoon
Tamarind water - 1 tablespoon (soak the tamarind in 1-2 warm water in for half an hour )
Salt, Sugar as per your taste.
Oil: 1 tablespoon
Coriander/ Dhaniya for garnishing.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a small pressure cooker ( if not available use a pan but you might have to cook for longer).
- Once the oil is heated, add Mustard seeds.
- When the mustard starts spluttering, add cumin seeds and add chopped green chilies, onion.
- When the onion turns translucent, add cut brinjal, Cumin and Coriander powder, salt to taste and saute it.
- Add 1 tablespoon of tamarind pulp. If you are using the tamarind pulp directly from the market, take 1 teaspoon of it and dilute it in the water.
- Add some water, so that the vegetable are half covered. Close the cooker lid and let it take 2 vissils.
- Open the cooker after some time, add a little sugar for taste and garnish it with dhaniya!!!! Serve it with garmagaram Roti, like I did today!!!!